Tuesday, April 10

DIY Paint Chip Art

Good morning everyone! I hope you're all having a fantastic Tuesday. Today I'm bringing you my first tutorial! It's for a paint chip art piece. I've been seeing a lot of these on Pinterest lately and wanted to try my own. My Menards has really cute Crayola paint chips, so I wanted to try something with those. My first attempt was...a learning experience. There are a lot of things I am going to do differently the second time around for sure!

So let's start! First off, your supplies. For the project I used:
  1. Mod Podge
  2. Crayola paint chips
  3. Dutch boy rounded square paint chips
  4. An old picture & frame
  5. Black spray paint
  6. A sponge paint brush
  7. Mod Podge roller and squeegee - optional (I don't know the actual names for these products)
  8. Ruler
  9. Chalk or marking tool


So the first thing I did was disassemble my old picture and frame. I don't have a before picture of this because I had already taken it apart for another project. Then I spray painted the picture black.



Next I laid out my paint chips to figure out which combination I liked best. This is what I went with.

Now, this is where everything went wrong. I don't know what happened! As you can see in the picture, I laid out my paint chips and marked where the squares should go. However, when I started gluing the Crayola chips down, somehow that third row had moved down too far and they didn't line up anymore. Unfortunately my mod podge had dried and I had to scrape off the yellow row, and I didn't have enough replacements and had to reuse one of the scraped off ones, and that left it too thin. Moral of the story, lay out the whole pattern to make sure it's right. Ugh. Anyway, this is me measuring it out.

And this is the beginning of me screwing it up! I don't know, they all lined up until the end. Whatever paint chips, you can't defeat me! So you need to put mod podge on the back of each pain chip and place it down (in the correct spot). If your corners start to curl up, just hold it down with your finger for a second. Also, if you have a roller and squeegee, you can run it over the rows to make sure they're flat with no bubbles.


Do this until you have three rows. Then put mod podge over the whole thing.


Then start putting down your Crayola chips. I really liked the way these all lined up. So pretty and colorful! Put mod podge on the backs of all these too.

And cover it with mod podge again!

At this point, just let it dry and you're done! The image I used was about 9"x13", but 8.5"x11" would have been big enough. Also not shown is that this was originally a framed clock. I had to disassemble the frame and then glue it back together. I used e6000, which EVERYONE SHOULD OWN. I also used too much mod podge on the last application and it dried not clear in between the corners of the squares. If you have any questions, just leave them in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment